Chandrayaan 3 is an ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization) mission with the primary objective of putting a lander and rover in the highlands near the south pole of the Moon on 23 August 2023 and demonstrating end-to-end landing and roving capabilities.
Chandrayaan 3 mission is a follow-on mission to Chandrayaan-2 to demonstrate end-to-end capability in safe landing and roving on the lunar surface.
Now India has become the first country to successfully land a spacecraft near the lunar south pole, and the fourth country to soft land on the Moon.
|Facts in Brief
|Chandrayaan 3 was launched on 14th July 2023
|LVM 3 M4
|Indian Space Research Organization (India)
Chandrayaan 3 comprises a lander and rover configuration and a propulsion module. The lander/rover is similar to the Vikram rover on Chandrayan 2, with improvements to help ensure a safe landing. The propulsion module carried the lander and rover configuration to lunar orbit in preparation for a powered descent by the lander.
- The propulsion module has a Spectro-polarimetry of Habitable Planet Earth (SHAPE) payload to study the spectral and Polarimetric measurement of Earth from the lunar orbit.
Mission Objectives of Chandrayaan 3:
- To demonstrate a safe and soft landing on the Lunar Surface
- To demonstrate Rover roving on the Moon
- To conduct in-situ scientific experiments.
- Chdrayaan 3 launched on 14 July 2023 at 9:05:17 UT (2:35 p.m. India standard time), on a GSLV mark 3 (LVM 3) heavy-lift launch vehicle from Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota, India, into an approximately 170 x 36,500 km elliptic Earth parking orbit.
- On August 5 the spacecraft was placed into a 164 x 18,074 lunar orbit by a 30-minute engine firing.
- A number of firings by the propulsion module put the lander /rover into 100 km circular polar lunar orbit by August 17. The Vikram Lander then separated.
- It began its powered descent towards the surface at 12:14 UT on 23 August and landed in the South Polar region of the Moon.
Picture credit: ISRO
- Click to access LVM3M4_Chandrayaan3_brochure.pdf