Name Changed in India
Name changed in Railways:
Old Name: Phaijabad Railway Junction (Situated in Uttar Pradesh)
New Name: Ayodhaya Cantt
- This railway station is situated in Ayodhya District of the state Uttar Pradesh
Old Name: Jhanshi Railways station (Situated in Uttar Pradesh)
New Name: Virangana Laxmibai railway station
- This railway station is situated in Jhansi District of the state Uttar Pradesh
Old Name: Manduadih railway station (Situated in Uttar Pradesh)
New Name: Banaras railway station
- This railway station situated in Varanasi District of the state Utter Pradesh
Old Name: Mugalsarai Railway Junction (Situated in Uttar Pradesh)
New Name: Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay Junction
- This railway station is situated in Chandauli District for the state Uttar Pradesh.
- Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay was an Indian politician, philosopher well-known astrologer and thinker. He was born on 25th September 1916 at Nagla Chandrabhan village in Mathura District, State Uttar Pradesh. He was appointed General Secretary of Bhartiya Jan Sangh in 1952 and been on this post till 1967. In 1967 he was elected as president of Bhartiya Jan Sangh.
- Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay connection with the Mugalsarai was, during travelling to PATNA by train after elected as President of Bhartiya Jan Sangh in 1967, He was allegedly murdered, at Mugalsarai Station, 10 minutes after the train arrival.
Old Name: Haveri railway Station (Situated in Karnatka)
New Name: Mahadevappa Mailar railway station
- This railways station is situated in Haveri District of the state Karnataka.
- Mahadevappa mailer was a freedom fighter who accompanied mahatma Gandhi on Dandi March at the age of 18 and he is only the representative from Karnataka.
- Mailara Mahadevappa participated in non-cooperation movement call given by Mahatma Gandhi, and He was killed by British police on 1.4.1943, along with his followers Tirakappa Madivalar and Veerayya Hiremath while breaking open the treasury where British officers had kept Land Revenue in Hosaritti Village Veerabhadra Swamy Temple by collecting forcefully from farmers. Mahadev Mailar uses to collect back Land Revenue and redistribute it to the concerned farmers.
- IN 2018, He was depicted on the stamp released by INDIAN POST.
Old Name: Hubballi Railway Station (Situated in Karnatka)
New Name: Shree Siddharoodha Swamiji Railway Station
- Hubballi railway station name was changed earlier in 2015 from hubali. Again, its name has changed to Shree Siddharoodha Swamiji Railway Station
- This Railway Station is situated in Dharwad District of the state Karnataka.
Old Name: Chennai Central Railway Station (Situated in Tamilnadu)
New Name: Puratchi Thalaivar Dr M G Ramachandran Central Railway Station
- Chennai Central Railway station situated in Chennai District of the State Tamilnādu.
- Marudhur Gopalan Ramachandran was popularly known as M.G.R., He was an Indian politician, actor, philanthropist, and filmmaker who served as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu from 1977 to till his Death in 1987.
Old Name: Mumbai Central Railway Station. (Situated in Maharastra)
New Name: Nana Shanker Seth Mumbai Central Railway Station
- This railway station is situated in Mumbai (Capital) of the state Maharastra.
- Honourable Jagannath Shankarsheth Murkute was famously known as Nana. He was Born on 10th Feb 1803 in the wealthy Murkute Family of the Daivadnya Brahmin Community. He was an Indian Philanthropist and Educationalist.
- The Bombay Association was the first political organization in the Bombay Presidency founded by Jagannath Shankarseth on 26th august 1952.
Old Name: Kevadia Railway station (Situated in Gujrat)
New Name: Ekta Nagar railway station
- This railway station is situated in Town Ekta Nagar in Narmada District of the state Gujrat
- This Town is famous for tourist location as Statue of Unity located here.
Old Name: Habib Ganj Railway Station (Situated in Madhya Pradesh)
New Name: Rani Kamalapati railway station
- This railway station is situated in District Bhopal (Capital) of the state Madhya Pradesh.
- It has renamed in the memory of Rani Kamalapati who was also known as Gond Queen. She was the pride of Gond Community and the last Hindu Queen of Bhopal.
- Rani Kamalapati was daughter of Raja Kripal Singh Sarautia of the state of Salkanpur Sehore.
- Rani Kamalapati was an expert wrestler, archer, and Horse Rider. She was a skilful commander and fought wars with her father military and her female team to protect her kingdom from invaders.
- Rani Kamalapati was married to Nizam Shah, the son of Suraj Singh Shah who governed over the state of Ginnaurgarh. She was one of nizam shah seven wives. Nizam Shah had built a seven-storeyed palace, The Kamalapati Mahal, for the queen in Bhopal.
Old Name: Patal Pani Railway station (Situated in Madhya Pradesh)
New Name: Tantya Mama railway station.
- This railway station is situated in Indore district for the state Madhya Pradesh.
- Tantis Bhil was known as Tantya Mama. He was also named as “Indian Robin Hood” By British. He was the hero of the country independence and the hero of tribals as he always spoke against the British policy of exploitation of the poor. He was Bhil worrier who robbed the British and put it all to poor hunger. That is why he became the poor tribal Massiah.
Old Name: Miyon ka Bada Railway Station (Situated in Barmer District of the State Rajsthan)
New Name: Mahesh Nagar Halt.
Old Name: Pragati Maidan Metro Station (New Delhi)
New Name: Supreme Court Metro Station.
Old Name: RPF (Railway Protection Force)
New Name: RPFS (Railway Protection Force Service)
Old Name: Howrah Kalka Mail
New Name: Netaji Express
- Howrah Kalka Mail is now Netaji Express Running between Howrah district of State West Bengal to Kalka town in Panchkula District of state Haryana.
Old name: Train 18
New Name: Vande Bharat Express
Old Name: Train Guard (Indian railway)
New Name: Train Manager
- Train Guard post of Indian Railways has renamed as Train Manager.
Name Change in Airports and Airlines:
Old Name: Agartala Airport (Situated in Tripura)
New Name: Maharaja Bir Bikram Airport
- This Airport is situated in city Agartala (Capital) of the state Tripura. It was renamed in 2018.
- Maharaja Bir Bikram Airport was originally built by the US Air Force During the second world war (1939-1945) in collaboration with King Bir Bikram Kishore Manikya Debbarman.
Old Name: Ayodhya Airport (Situated in Uttar Pradesh)
New Name: Maryada Purushottam Sri Ram Airport
- This Airport is situated in Ayodhya District of the state Uttar Pradesh.
Old Name: Gorakhpur Airport (Situated in Uttar Pradesh)
New Name: Mahayogi Gorakhnath Airport.
- This airport is situated in Gorakhpur District of the state Uttar Pradesh
Old Name: Agra Airport (Situated in Uttar Pradesh)
New Name: Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay Airport
- This airport is situated in Agra District of the state Uttar Pradesh.
Old Name: Chakeri Airport (Situated in Uttar Pradesh)
New Name: Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi Airport.
- This Airport is situated in Kanpur District of the state Uttar Pradesh.
Old Name: Bareilly Airport (Situated in Uttar Pradesh)
New Name: Nath Nagari Airport
- This Airport is situated in Bareilly District of the state Uttar Pradesh.
Old Name: Kurnool Airport (Situated in Andhra Pradesh)
New Name: Uyyalawada Narasimbha Reddy Airport.
- This Airport is situated in Kurnool District of the state Andhra Pradesh.
Old Name: Chhtrapati Shivaji International Airport (Situated in Maharashtra)
New Name: Chhtrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport.
- This Airport is situated in District Mumbai (capital) of the state Maharashtra.
Old Name: Jharsuguda Airport (Situated in Odisha)
New Name: Veer Surendra Sai Airport.
- This Airport is situated in Jharsuguda district of the state Odisha.
Old Name: Go Air
New Name: Go First
- Go Air become the sixth Indian domestic carrier to fly international when it launched its inaugural flight to Phuket from New Delhi on 11th October 2018.
- In May2021, Go Air was renamed as GO First. Wadia Group Operate this flight service as Owner.
Places: District, Road, Chowk and Parks :
Old Name: Aligarh (Uttar Pradesh)
New Name: Harigarh
Old Name: Allahabad (District of the state Uttar Pradesh)
New Name: Prayagraj
Old Name: MugalSarai (Situated in Chandauli district of the state Uttar pradesh)
New Name: Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay Nagar
Old Name: Faizabad (District of the state Uttar Pradesh)
New Name: Ayodhaya
Old Name: Mount Harriet Island (Part of Andaman and Nicobar UT)
New name: Mount Manipur
- Mount Harriet is now Mount Manipur is an island and it is situated in Andaman Nicobar UT.
- It is renamed as mount Manipur because Maharaja of Manipur Kulchandra Dhwaj Singh and 22 other freedom fighter wares imprisoned at Mount Harriet in KALAPAANI.
Old Name: Ross Island (Part of Andaman and Nicobar UT)
New Name: Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Island
Old Name: Neil Island (Part of Andaman and Nicobar UT)
New Name: Shaheed Island
Old Name: Havelock Island (Part of Andaman and Nicobar UT)
New Name: Swaraj Island
Old Name: Wheeler Island (Part of the state Odisha)
New Name: APJ Abdul Kalam Island
Old name: Hoshangabad (District of the state Madhya Pradesh)
New Name: Narmdapuram.
- Hoshangabad is a district of State Madhya Pradesh, and it has renamed as Narmdapuram.
Old Name: Babai Town (Situated in District Narmdapurm of the state Madhya Pradesh)
New Name: Makhan Nagar
- Babai town is now Makhan Nagar situated in district Narmadapurm of state Madya Pradesh.
- Babai is now Makhan Nagar is birthplace of the renowned journalist and poet Makhan Lal Chaturvedi.
Old Name: Shivpuri (District of the state Madhya Pradesh)
New name: Kundeshwar Dham
- Shivpuri District is now Kundeshwar Dham District of Madhya Pradesh. Shivpuri was famous for Kundeshwar Temple of lord Shiva. So now it has renamed as Kundeshwar Dham.
Old name: Shimla (District and Capital of the State Himachal Pradesh)
New Name: Shyamala
- Shimla is a district and capital of the state Himachal Pradesh, and It has renamed as Shyamala.
Old Name: Naya Raipur (Naya Raipur Situated in Raipur District of State Chhattisgarh)
New Name: Atal Nagar
- Naya Raipur is now Atal Nagar Situated in District Raipur of state Chhattisgarh.
- It has renamed in memory of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Bajpayee of INDIA. Atal Nager is a planned Capital city of state Chhattisgarh.
Old Name: Aurangabad (A District of the state Maharashtra)
New Name: Sambhaji Nagar
Old name: National Highway: NH 703 AA
New Name: Guru Nanak Dev Ji Marg
- National Highway 703 is situated in Northern India Between Punjab and Haryana. NH 703 Connect District Jalandhar of the state Punjab and District Sirsa of the state Haryana. It Starts at the junction of NH-3 In Jalandhar and traverse back to Sirsa to meet NH-9. Total Length of NH-703 are 169 Km.
Old Name: Bundel Khand Expressway (Situated in the state Uttar Pradesh)
New Name: Atal Path
- Bundel Khand Expressway is Under construction 4- lane (Expandable to 6 Lane) access-controlled Expressway. The first name was Taj express and later it has renamed as Bundelkhand Expressway. Now UP government has again renamed this Expressway as ATAL Path as a mark of resect of former prime minister ATAL BIHARI BAJPEYEE.
Old Name: Circular Road Chowk (Situated in Jammu district of the J&K UT)
New Name: Atal Chowk
Old Name: City Chowk (Situated in Jammu district of the J&K UT
New Name: Bharat Mata Chowk
Old Name: Hazratgunj Chowk (Situated in Lucknow District (Capital) of the state Uttar Pradesh)
New Name: Atal Chowk
Old Name: Ayodhya Bus stop (Situated in Ayodhya district of the state Uttar Pradesh)
New Name: Ayodhaya Dham
Old Name: Babar Road (Situated in UT New Delhi)
New Name: 5 August Marg
Old Name: Aurangzeb Road (Situated in UT New Delhi)
New Name: Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Road
Old Name: Bogibeel Bridge (Situated in Dibrugarh district of the State Assam)
New Name: Atal Setu
- The Bogibeel Bridge is now ATAL Setu a combined Road and Rail Bridge over the River Brahmaputra. It is 4.9 Km long and 5th Longest bridge in INDIA and the longest Road and rail Bridge in INDIA.
- ATAL Setu connects the two District Dhemaji and Dibrugarh of the State Assam. It is marked as a respect of former prime minister shri ATAL BIHARI BAJPAYEE.
Old Name: Sabarmati Ghat (Situated in Ahmedabad district of State Gujrat)
New Name: Atal Ghat
- Sabarmati Ghat is now ATAL Ghat situated on River Sabarmati in Ahmedabad District of state Gujrat.
Old Name: Ghaghara River
New Name: Saryu River
- Ghaghara river is now Saryu River is also called karnali. It is a perennial trans-boundary river which is originating on the Tibetan Plateau near Manasrovar Lake. Total length of this river is 1080 Km. It is the largest tributary of river Ganga by volume and second longest tributary of River Ganga by length after River Yamuna.
Old Name: Chenani Nashri Tunnel (Situated in J&K UT)
New Name: Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Tunnel
- Chenani-Nashri tunnel is now Shyama Prasad Mukherjee tunnel situated in J & K UT. This road tunnel is 9.4 Km long located below the Himalayas region on NH-44 and it connects Chenani in Udhampur District and Nashri In Ramban District of J&K UT.
Old Name: Rohtang Tunnel (Situated in the state Himachal Pradesh)
New Name: ATAL Tunnel
- Rohtang Tunnel is now ATAL Tunnel is the World Longest Highway tunnel. It is 9.02 Km long and connects Manali in Kullu District of Himachal Pradesh to Lahaul-Spiti in Leh District of Ladakh UT.
- It is built on Manali – Leh Highway in the Pir Panjal range of Himalayas. It is located at an altitude of 10000 ft. for the Sea level. This Tunnel is reduced 46 Km Distance between the Manali and Leh.
Old Name: Jim Corbet Tiger Reserve (Situated in Nainital District of the state Uttarakhand)
New Name: Ramganga National Park
- The Corbett reserves was established in 1936 and named Hailey National Park after Malcolm Hailey, the former governor of the UP province. After Independence it was renamed as Ramganga national park in 1954-55. Next year again it has renamed as Corbett Tiger reserve.
- Again, Corbett Tiger Reserve has been renamed as Ramganga National Park. The Ramganga River Flows from the Ramganga National Park and known as lifeline for the reserve.
Old Name: Rajeev Gandhi Orang National Park (Situated in Darrang and Sonitpur District of the state Assam)
New Name: Orang National Park.
- Orang National Park Situated on north bank of Brahmaputra River in the Darrang and Sonitpur District of the state Assam.
- Orang National Park was declared a wildlife sanctuary in 1985 and was upgraded to National Park in1999
Name changed in Institutions, Ministries and Government Schemes :
Old Name: J & K High Court (Situated in Srinagar)
New Name: Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh High Court
Old Name: Lok Sabha TV & Rajya Sabha TV (Merged)
New Name: Sansad TV
- These both the TV Channels have merged and named Sansad TV.
Old Name: News Broadcaster Association (NBA)
New Name: News Broadcaster and Digital Association (NBDA)
Old Name: Parvasi Bhartiya Centre (Situated in New Delhi)
New Name: Sushma Swaraj Bhawan
Old Name: Foreign Service Institute (Situated in New Delhi)
New Name: Sushma Swaraj Institute of Foreign Service
Old Name: Paryawaran Bhawan (Situated in CGO Complex, New Delhi)
New Name: Deendayal Antyodaya Bhawan
Old Name: The Institute for Defense Study and Analysis (IDSA) (Situated in New Delhi)
New Name: Manohar Parrikar Institute for Defense Study and Analysis (MPIDSA)
- Manohar Parrikar was a former Defence Minister of INDIA. As a Defence minister of India, his tenure was 2014 to 2017
Old Name: Mainpuri Sanik School (Situated in Mainpuri District of State the Uttar Pradesh)
New Name: General Vipin Rawat Sainik School
- General Vipin Rawat was an Indian Military Officer and Chief of army staff from 31st December 2016 to 31st December 2019.
- He was the 1st Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) of India and served from 1st January 2020 to 8th December 2021. They had lost his life in a helicopter crash at Bandishola in Nilgiris District of the State Tamil Nādu.
Old Name: Army Sports Institute (Situated in PUNE District of the state Maharashtra)
New Name: Neeraj Chopra Army Sports Stadium.
- Neeraj Chopra is Army Personal and Athlete who has won the 1st Gold Medal for INDIA in Javelin Throw in Tokyo Olympic 2021.
- On 7 august 2021, He made history and won the gold medal for India in Tokyo Olympic 2021.
Old Name: National Institute of Financial Management (NIFM) (Situated in New Delhi)
New Name: Arun Jaitley National Institute of Financial Management (AJNIFM)
Old Name: Indian Broadcasting Foundation (IBF) (Situated in New Delhi)
New Name: Indian Broadcasting and Digital Foundation (IBDF)
Old Name: Nehru Memorial Museum (Situated in New Delhi)
New Name: Prime Minister Museum
Old Name: Ministry of Heavy Industry and Public Enterprises
New Name: Ministry of Heavy Industry.
- Minister of Heavy Industry is Mahendra Nath Pandey.
Old Name: Ministry of Human Resource and Development (MHRD)
New Name: Ministry of Education
Old Name: Ministry of Shipping
New Name: Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways
Old Name: Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
New Name: Sundar Bharat
- Swachh Bharat Abhiyan was Started on 2nd October 2014.
Old Name: Beti Bachao Beti Padhao
New Name : BADLAV (Beti Aapki Dhan Laxmi Aur Vijay Laxmi)
- BBBP program was launched on 22 Jan 2015 to stop the Female Feticide. Infanticide and help to promote education of the girl child.
- BADLAV campaign will be used to represent the change towards gender equality.
Old Name: Mid-Day Meal Yojana
New Name: PM Poshan Yojana
Name changed of Stadium, Award and Game:
Old Name: Motera Stadium (Situated in Ahmedabad District of the State Gujrat)
New Name: Narendra Modi Stadium
- Motera Stadium is now Narendra Modi Stadium is situated in Ahmedabad District of state Gujrat. It is a part of the Sardar Vallabh bhai Patel Sports Enclave in Ahmedabad.
Old Name: Mohali International Hockey Stadium (Situated in Mohali District of the State Punjab)
New Name: The Olympian Balbir Singh Senior International Hockey Stadium.
- Balbir Singh Senior was three times Olympic Gold Medal Winner and Padma shri warded hocky player of India. Balbir Singh Senior has record for the most Goal scored by individual in the Men’s Hockey Final in Olympic and He had scored five goals for India’s 6-1 victory over the Netherlands in the gold medal match of the 1952 Helsinki games.
- He received three Olympic gold medals in Landan (1948), Helsinki (1952) as vice-captain and Melbourne (1956) as Captain.
Old Name: Feroz Shah Kotla Stadium (Situated in New Delhi)
New Name: Arun Jaitley Stadium
Old Name: Ekana International Cricket Stadium (Situated in Lucknow District of the state Uttar Pradesh)
New Name: Atal Bihari Bajpayee International cricket Stadium
- The new Lucknow IPL Cricket team Franchise is introduced in IPL Auction this year (2022) and named as Lucknow Super Giants.
- The new Ahmedabad IPL cricket team Franchise is Introduced in IPL Auction this year (2022) and named Gujrat Titans.
Old name: King Eleven Panjab
New name: Punjab Kings
Old name: Delhi Daredevils
New Name: Delhi Capitals
Old Name: Rajeev Gandhi Khel Ratna Award
New Name: Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award
- Rajeev Gandhi Khel Ratna Award is now Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award is the highest sporting honour of India. It is Annually Awarded by Ministry of Sports and youth affaires.
- This Award was started in 1991-1992 and 1st recipient of this award is Chess Grandmaster Viswanathan Anand in 1992 for the performance in year 1991-1992.
- Major Dhyan Chand was a three times Olympic Gold Medallist, is considered the greatest hockey player. His Birthday, On 29th August marked as National Sports Day and that Day National Sports Awards are presented each year.
- Last Year Sports Minister Raised the Award Money from 7.5 Lakh to 25 Lakh for the Khel Ratna Awardee. Performance assessment period has also increased for selection for Khel Ratna Award from 1 year to 4 years from 2020 onwards.
Old Name: Kolkata Port (Situated in Kolkata District of the state West Bengal)
New Name: Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Port
Old Name: Kandla Port (Situated in Golf of Kachchh in Kachchh District of the state Gujrat)
New Name: Deendayal Port
Old Name: Bihar Makhana
New Name: Mithila Makhana
Old Name: Dragan Fruit
New Name: Kamalam Fruit
- Kamalam Fruit name is given by State GUJRAT
Old Name: Yes, Mutual Fund
New Name: WhiteOak Capital Mutual Fund.
Old Name: Kakori Kand
New Name: Kakori Train Action
- The Kakori Train Action was a train Robbery that took place at Kakori a village near Lucknow on 9 August 1925 During the Indian Independence Movement against British Colonial Rule. The train was coming from Saharanpur to Lucknow.
- The Robbery Was Organized by the Hindustan Republican Association and more than 10 Persons were arrested in this incident, and they were finally sentenced to death by the British government.
Old Name: Afghanistan (capital is Kabul)
New Name: Islamic emirates of Afghanistan
Old Name: Turkey
New Name: Turkiye
- Turkiye Capital is Ankara and Currency is Turkish Leera. This Country is Situated in Asia and Europe
Indonesia Capital has been Shifted from Jakarta to Nusantara. Nusantara is Situated on the Island of Borneo.
- On January 18, 2022, Indonesia Parliament Approved a bill to move its capital Jakarta To Nusantara.
Old Name: Air Asia (Malaysian airlines Service)
New Name: Capital A
Old Name: Facebook
New Name: Meta
- Facebook is now META is a multinational company which provides social platform for users. Company had just changed the Company name from Facebook to META only and the rest of the application name will remain same.
You may also read:
- List of important books and Authors in Ancient India
- World military expenditure report 2022
- World Happiness Report 2022
- Sources of Ancient history of India
Thank You 🙂