World military expenditure report 2022
Who Released: SIPRI (Stockholm International Peace Research Institute)
When Released: 25th – April – 2022
SIPRI has released the report of The World Military Expenditure 2021 on 25th – April – 2022.
As per report, World Military Expenditure passes $2 Trillion US dollar for the first time in the world history. Even in the Economic fall down due to COVID-19 pandemic World Military Spending hit the all time high record levels.
Total Global Military Expenditure in 2021 was 0.7 % percent higher than in 2020 and it has reached at $2113 Billion US dollar mark.
As per report, Top 5 spender countries are United States, China, INDIA, United Kingdom and Russia. It is together accounting for 62 % of the total world expenditure on military spending.
Top 10 countries list and its ranking of the Military Spending in 2021:
- World military spending continued to grow in 2021, Reached an all-time high and it has crossed $2 trillion US dollar mark and reaching $2113 Billion US dollar.
- The five largest Military spenders in 2021 were the United States, China, INDIA, The United Kingdom and Russia.
- These all top five Military spender countries are together accounted for 62 % percent of total world military spending. The US and China alone accounted for 52 % percent of total world Military spending.
- As per report USA military spending amounted $801 billion dollar in 2021. It is drop of 1.4 % in total military spending from 2020.
- In 2021, China Military spending rose for the 27th consecutive year to reach $293 billion US dollar.
- Russia military spending grew for the 3rd consecutive year in 2021. Military Spending rose by 2.9 % percent to reach $65.9 Billion US dollar. This amount of spending is 4.1 % percent of the total GDP of Russia.
- World military expenditure has increased in three regions of the world’s five regions in 2021.
- Military spending has increased in ASIA and Oceania region by 3.5 % percent
- Military spending has increased in EUROPE region by 3.0 % Percent.
- African region military spending has increased also by 1.0 % percent.
- Military Spending decreased in the Middle-East region by -3.3 % percent.
- Military spending decreased also in the Americas Region by -1.2 % percent.
- In terms of Global GDP share, World military spending reached 2.2 % percent in 2021 and it is 0.1 % percent lower than in 2020.
- Countries allocated fund on militaries an average 5.9 % percent of their total government budget in 2021. It is the same proportion as in 2020.
About INDIA military expenditure 2021?
- India’s military expenditure increased to $76.6 Billion US dollar in2021. It is showing 0.9 % hike over the 2020 spending.
- India’s military spending was the 3rd highest in the world and it was $76.6 Billion US dollar. This increment was 33% higher from 2012.
- India has prioritized and modernization of its armed forces and self-reliance in armed production.
- 64 % of the capital in total military spending budget was used to strengthen indigenous armed industry in 2021 and it was assigned for acquisition of domestically produced arms.
Global Military Spending 2021 chart in spending percentage :
About SIPRI :
SIPRI stands for “Stockholm International Peace Research Institute” . It is an independent international institute based in Stockholm Sweden and Founded in 1966 by the Swedish Parliament. It is dedicated to research into conflict, armaments, arms control and disarmaments.
SIPRI vision is a world in which sources if insecurity are identified and understood, Conflicts are prevented or resolved, and peace is sustained.
You may also read :
- World Happiness Report 2022
- Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI) 2022
- Global Manufacturing Risk Index 2021
- Global hunger Index 2021 (GHI)
Thank You !! 🙂