Important Mountain Ranges of the World
A list of some important mountain ranges of the world is given in the table below:
|Cordillera de los Andes||Western South America||Aconcagua|
|Rocky Mountain Range||Western North America||Mount Albert|
|Himalayas- Karakoram -Hindukush||South Central Asia||Mount Everest|
|Great dividing range||Eastern Australia||Kosyusko|
|Trans Antarctica Mountain||Antarctica||Mount Vinson Massif|
|Tian Shan||South-Central Asia|
|Altai mountains||Central Asia||Gora Belukha|
|Ural Mountain range||Central Russia||Gora Narodnaya|
|Kamchatka ranges||Eastern Russia||Kluchevskaya Sopka|
|Atlas mountains||northwest Africa||Jewel Toubkal|
|Western Ghats||Western India||Anaimudi|
|Sierra Madre Oriental||Mexico||Orijava|
|Jagros Mountain ranges||Iran||Jad Kuh|
|Scandinavian ranges||Western Norway||Galdhopijen|
|Drakensberg ranges||southeast Africa||Davanaentlenyana|
|Alaska ranges||Alaska (USA)||Mount McKinley|
|Cascade ranges||Canada (USA.)||Mount Rainier|
|Appalachians ranges||Canada (Eastern USA)||Mount Mitchel|
|Alps||Central Europe||Mount blanc|
Some facts about important mountain ranges of the world:
Cordillera de los Andes:
The Andes run along the western side of South America. It is among the world’s longest mountain ranges.
The Andes extend from north to south through seven South American countries: Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, and Argentina.
- The Elevation of the Andes is 6,961m.
- It covers an area of 3.371 million km²
- Highest point in the Andes is Aconcagua
- The length is 7,000 km (4,350 mi)
Rocky Mountain Range:
The rockies are the largest mountain system in North America. The rocky mountain formed 80 million to 55 million years ago.
- The highest point Mount Albert
- Elevation: 4,401 m (14, 439 ft)
- Length: 4,800 km (3,000 mi)
Himalayas- Karakoram –Hindukush
The Karakoram is a part of complex mountain ranges that includes the Himalayas, Hindu Kush, and Pamir ranges.
The Himalayas are mountain ranges in South Asia.
- The Hindukush is a range of mountains. This range starts near Pamir in the north Gilgit extending in the Southwest deep into the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province of Pakistan.
- The West of the Hindukush range is the Wakhan corridor of Afghanistan that separates the Gilgit agency from Tajikistan.
- The highest 15 mountains in the world are in the Himalayas, out of the nine peaks are in the Nepal Himalayas.
- Mount Everest is the highest mountain on the earth, 8,849 meters.
Some major national parks in the Himalayas:
- Jim Corbett National Park
- Namdhpha National Park
- The Royal Chitwan Park
- Kaziranga National Park
- Royal Bardia National Park
- Great Himalayan National Park
Great Dividing Range
The Great Dividing Range, is also known as the East Australian Cordillera or the Eastern Highlands.
- Peak: Kosyusko
- Elevation: 2,228 meters.
Ural Mountain range
The Ural mountain ranges run approximately from north to south through western Russia, from the coast of the Arctic Ocean to the river Ural and north-western Kazakhstan.
The Ural mountain range forms part of the conventional boundary between the regions of Europe and Asia.
- Peak: Mount Narodnaya
- Elevation: 1,895 m
- Length: 2,500 km
The Atlas Mountain ranges are in the Maghreb in North Africa. Atlas Mountain separates the Mediterranean and Atlantic coastlines from the Sahara Desert.
- Peak: Toubkal in Morocco
- Elevation: 4,167 m
- Countries: Morocco, Algeria, and Tunisia.
The Western Ghats also called Sahyadri Mountain range
The Western Ghats covers an area of 160,000 km2 in a stretch of 1600 km parallel to the western coast of the Indian peninsula, traversing the states Karnataka, Goa, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Kerala, and Tamil Nadu.
- Western Ghats is a UNESCO World Heritage site and is one of the eight biodiversity hotspots in the world.
- It is also called the Great Escarpment of India.
- The area is one of the world’s ten “Hottest biodiversity hotspots”.
- It has over 7,402 species of flowering plants, 1,814 species of non-flowering plants, 139 mammal species, 508 bird species, 227 reptile species, 179 amphibian species, 290 freshwater fish species, and 6,000 insect species
- Peak: Anaimudi, Eravikulam National park
- Elevation: 2,695m
Alps Mountain ranges:
The Alps are the highest and most extensive mountain range that lies in Europe. It stretches through eight Alpine countries (West to East): France, Switzerland, Monaco, Italy, Liechtenstein, Austria, Germany, and Slovenia.
Mont Blanc spans the French–Italian border, and at 4,809 m (15,778 ft) is the highest mountain in the Alps Mountain ranges.
- Peaks: Mount Blanc
- Elevation: 4,800 m
- Length: 1,200 km
You can also read:
- Rivers of India and their main Tributaries
- List of Important Glaciers of Himalayan mountain
- List of main volcanoes in the world
- List of Mountain Passes of India
- Major rivers of the world
- Important lakes of the world
Thank you 🙂