Human Development Index (HDI) 2021-22
Release date: 8 September 2022
Released by the Human Development Report Office (HDRO)of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- Switzerland ranked first in HDI 2021 with an HDI value of 0.962
- India ranked 132 in HDI with a value of 0.633 among 191 countries
- South Sudan is at the last 191st position with an HDI score of 0.385.
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) introduced the HDI in its first Human Development Report (HDR) prepared under the stewardship of Mahbub-ul-Haq in 1990.
Human development reports (HDRs) have been released most years since 1990 and have explored different themes through the human development approach. The HDR is published by the Human Development Report Office (HDRO) of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
The goal of publication of HDI:
The goal of the HDI is to advance human development. The main goal is to contribute toward the expansion of opportunities, choice, and freedom.
The Human development index measures the average achievement of a country in three basic dimensions of human development–
- Long healthy life
- Descent standard of living.
Indicators of HDI:
The value of the Human Development Index is determined by combining a country’s scores in a vast and wide-ranging assortment of indicators including:
- Life expectancy at birth
- Expected years of schooling
- Mean years of schooling
- Gross National Income (GNI) per Capita
HDI is divided into four tires: Very high Human Development, High human development, Medium human development, and low human development.
India’s position on Human Development Index:
India ranked 132 among 191 countries and territories in the 2021 Human Development Index with a value of 0.633.
- The HDI rank of India has slipped from 130 in 2020 to 132 in 2021-22.
- In 2020 India ranked 130 among 189 countries and territories.
- In HDI India is placed in the category of Medium Human Development.
Top 10 ranked Countries in HDI:
10 Bottom countries in HDI:
The rank of Neighbour countries of India:
You can also read: 💡
- World Drug Report 2022
- World Happiness Report 2022
- World Press Freedom Index 2022
- One Rank One Pension (OROP)
- Global Manufacturing Risk Index 2021
Thank you 🙂